Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Joy of Doing Things Alone

Last Sunday marked the end of a nearly two week vacation, my first official one since I began working full -time nearly two years ago. I made grandiose plans of weekend jaunts to New York and all of the work, sleep and work I was going to do with my idle time. While there was PLENTY of time for work, there wasn't much time left over for much else. I attended class through the middle of the week, spent lots of time at my internship and very little time lazing about.

The last thing I had on my vacation bucket list was a trip to the Corcoran (I've been dying to get back there since our visit a few weeks back) and had been meaning to pay the 30 Americans show a visit...I took my roommate and two good friends with me and I couldn't have made a more egregious error. Before I could so much as read a label or make it through a single intro text, my friends had left me behind and had ambled through the exhibit like they were in Giant trying to make good time to the register.

There was so much to see, so much to marvel at, so much to take in, and I felt rushed. Who cared about lunch when there was a Kehinde Wiley the size of my house to ooh and ahh over? Not to mention, the Gordon Parks gallery? The Parks works were so touching, they will have to serve as the foundation for my next blog entry.

I shouldn't have allowed my friends to distract me. However, I do see this experience (or lack thereof) as a poignant reminder of what I must do as a future curator, lover of art and a person; 1. keep a little for myself, 2. take my time and take it all in and 3. learn and revel in the joy of doing things alone. I should have gone to the show by myself and given myself the opportunity to commune with the art. There were so many phenomenal artists I had simply NEVER heard of. Which serves as another reminder, no matter how much you know or THINK you know, there's always more to learn. THANK GOODNESS!

There is a Miles Davis quote from an interview where Davis is asked about what he thinks about his critics and what they have to say about his works. I can't recall exactly what he says, but it was something to the effect, "Critics? What critics? If it gets by me, it's alright." I have to start being my own best critic and pay no nevermind to the people, even the people who call themselves my friends if they try and take me off of my game and get me to take my eyes off of the prize: my Masters in Art and Museum Studies.

1 comment:

  1. I think you just have to be more selective about your company. You know, there are friends for shopping, friends for dinners, and friends for museum-going. I only go to museums with friends who want to learn and don't use the galleries as backdrop for conversation. As for my family: we all go at our own pace and meet at the end. I think that's a metaphor for you: everyone goes through life at their own pace and perhaps as a curator it's important to remember to pace exhibitions to accommodate the novices as well as the experts.

    ReplyDelete